Thursday, December 3, 2009

Semantic Web/Internet2

My head was spinning trying to find out about these websites! After wading through for a while, I decided to read some of my classmate blogs to see if a) I was the only one completely at a loss, and b) to see what others thought of everything.

I was glad to see that I was not the only one overwhelmed. After looking around Internet2, I wasn't sure what the point was. I liked that it directly connects people who are working towards different goals, but I wasn't sure what Internet2 gave them that the regular internet did not. In reading Kathleen's post, I also read the Slate article she found. I thought it was interesting that the author said that Internet2 allowed for faster internet speeds. I wonder if other like-minded organizations should connect this way. (For example, all libraries could be on their own Internet2.) As I kept reading, the Slate article noted that in the future companies would allow for speeds close to Internet2 at home computers. I though "how true." We as humans are never content w/ status quo. We go out and try to find more. Who can have the fastest internet around? Will Internet2 always be fastest? And being that the article was written in '05, i wouldn't be surprised if many people haven't already improved their own speeds from dial-up to cable or fiber optic.

As for Semantic web, I was in love with their idea in the first sentence. Organization is NOT my strong suit. I'd love to see everything connect as they discuss...downloading bank statements into a calendar, attaching pix so you know when different events happened. To have all of these platforms connect seems like an awesome idea. But then I read Tommy's blog. One of his comments was this "Imagine wearing a pair of glasses that can detect imbedded chips in physical objects and display information on that object right in front of your eyes. Or verbalizing a question into you mobile Semantic Agent and being fed an answer almost immediately." As awesome and futuristic as that sounds, it scares the crap out of me. Will we stop experiencing things because others have and we can just access their experience? I get anxious sometimes that the digital is taking over. Kids can't live w/ out cell phones. What happens when we are so connected to the internet and technology that we can barely hold a conversation with other people without interacting in a digital manner? Maybe that "Bing" commercial will be the truth. You ask a question about yoga, and get information about everything from yogurt to yogi's, while never quite getting the answer to your question.

I"m looking forward to discussing some of these ideas more in class tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Internet2 is especially needed for sharing media files especially video! This is more and more necessary especially in academic settings....

    Thanks for your comments! I can relate to thinking it is all cool, but also "scaring the crap out of me!"

    ReplyDelete