Thursday, September 24, 2009

A blogged book?

Something that technology has create that highly interests me are other peoples blogs. Generally fiction blogs. I admit, Cosmo has a sometimes lame/sometimes fun blog about K. and her life in the city. It give me a laugh, so it's worth it. And the suspense of waiting until the next post comes keeps you wanting more. As someone who loves books, this could be a great way to write a story.

Which is why I LOVE Saving Face. Dahlia Lithwick is a writer for the online magazines Slate and DoubleX. She is attempting to write a chick-lit novel in real time, with the help of her readers. So far, 10 chapters have been posted on slate, and it is definitely interesting. To top it off, she has a facebook page and is on twitter. When she needs info, such as "What is a crazy food issue a 3 year old would have?" Or "What should the name of the crazy girlfriend be?" she posts to twitter, and her fans offer up suggestions. These are then worked into the next chapter. It's fun, not only b/c the story is interesting, but also because you get little hints along the way of what might be coming up.

Although I'm not contributing, I am fan on FB, and can see some of the crazy ideas both the writer and the readers are coming up with. I thought this was a really unique and fantastic way to write a story. And one that would not be possible without today's technology.

3 comments:

  1. I think that's really interesting. I've have never heard of such a thing. Although, I admit I'm not a big fan of blogs and have never really followed any. I have only read posts when I've stumbled onto them during a search for a particular topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been a fan of blogs either. However, when a friend of a friend moved to Holland a year ago and decided to blog about her experiences I started reading her blog because it is so well written and so funny. Now from time to time I read the blog to see what new language difficulties or cultural differences they encountered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great - thanks for sharing and glad you're enjoying it - seems like a really fun thing to follow....

    ReplyDelete