Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Habits of an effective life learner

In my life, I've ended bad habits, started good ones, ended good ones, and tried to start over (how many different gyms can I join before I've joined them all?) In looking at these habits of a lifelong learner, I saw many similar patterns.

For me, one of the hardest habits will be number 1, setting a goal. I often have an idea where I want to go, but no solid goal. Even now, I know that I want to work with youth, but I'm not sure where that final step will be..in a school, in a public library, in New Jersey. I think I like to make short-term goals that I know I can successfully achieve. While not a bad idea, I'd like to stretch myself a bit more, push myself further. Maybe not in my formal education, but definitely in other areas.

Other than Play, I think the easiest habit for me will be using technology. I have always loved figuring out new things and playing with new "toys." (My mom said at the age of 4 I was telling her how to use my dad's video camera.) Although I'm not quick to jump into some forms of technology for personal reasons, I do see ways they could be useful in professional settings. For me, having a twitter account would me one more thing I would have to update. And really, who wants to know that my evening plans include spending time looking for childrens books for class? However, I find the fact that this it out there awesome, and a great way to connect w/ library patrons and students. I can totally see posting a twitter to students: "Don't forget...tomorrow is Dr. Seuss' birthday...wear your Cat in the Hat costume to school!" I love to incorporate technology into what I do, even if it's just so that no one has to try to read my chicken scratch, or if it is to create a review game for students before a quiz.

5 comments:

  1. aren't you looking forward to patting yourself on the back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to the goal-setting and the starting and stopping good and bad habits... it is sort of hard to know where you are going sometimes as far as what job you want to do or what path to take, but I think it helps to think of each step as part of the overall journey, and not to think of any steps you take as mistakes but all along the one path to the ultimate goal....

    We will talk about Twitter very soon, and YOU WILL have an account! ;-) Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too, have belonged to more than one gym. And I have been wasting money on my current one for the past 5 months. Setting goals is a problem I can relate to also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to goal setting difficulties. Several years ago, I applied for jobs in Scotland and Panama. Got them, then decided it wasn't what I really wanted. Then, I wanted to become a professional baker and went to school for that. I know how to execute my goals but my goals often change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that while having Twitter is another thing to check, it can be a really useful tool as a librarian. At the NJLA conference there was a lot of talk about using these things to connect with patrons/students.

    ReplyDelete