Library 2.0 is an interesting concept. Personally, I think that by titling things "2.0" we are allowing for some people to be scared of the technology and the change and not necessarily buy into the new activities. I don't know why we can't just accept it as a growing and changing product that will constantly evolve.
I thought Riemer's comment about expanding metadata across libraries was an especially good idea. Although not all libraries are part of the same system, there is no reason for them not to be connected in this day and age. However, I would go further to say that patrons should have the ability to tag books they have borrowed/read and link them to others they enjoyed. From what I've seen, it's impossible to search by "other books I might like" (though my library apparenlty now has some sort of system for this.) By using the group tagging, as we have done w/ many of the programs in Web 2.0, it would be more accessible for everyone.
Michael Stevens also introduces the idea of 2.0 controlling "Technolust." I think this is important as well. Every day more and more websites, programs, and "things" are being created to help people. Some are more helpful than others, and some are only helpful to few. I think it is important to not get wrapped up in the "Shiny new toy" aspect of something, and instead find out if it is really going to help your program before implementing it.
I have to admit, some of what Schultz said confused me. She talked about 4.0 as though it doesn't' exist, however to me that IS the library of today. Many libraries have rooms for group work, wifi access, and the other amenities she discusses. To me, it seems like she just wants to make it "prettier." I noticed she then talks about meeting in the online world, and using "special glasses or contacts" to access this. Ok. But as someone who often has to do work w/ a group of people who are not in the same room, as helpful as a "room" could be, nothing is the same as physically being with other people.
rev a shelf trash
5 years ago

True! I wouldn't want to ever completely replace f2f (face to face) with online, even though I love many online tools!
ReplyDelete