Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Podcasts

I don't own an iPod, MP3 player, or any other type of portable music player. Unless you count the CD player in my car. Now, i LOVE music, so this is odd. But b/c of this, I've never really been into podcasting.

I do, however, have a friend who LOVES it. And he knows that I <3 Kevin Smith, of Silent Bob fame. So imagine my disappointment when I went to PodcastAlly and typed in Kevin Smith. The first 2 hits were called "Kevin Smith." Neither of these were THE Kevin Smith podcast. Not gonna lie, I googled it to try to find it.

Then I started listening. It didn't hold my attention. Not b/c it wasn't interesting, but b/c I would much rather do anything else than sit at my computer and listen to talking.So I tired another one. This was a bit more interesting, but not much. Maybe Kevin is just boring if he's not written a script. (Mallrats, Dogma, Zack and Miri, some of my favorite movies!)

So i got back on track, and used PodcastAlly to find some NPR stuff, because I do listen to that while driving and often find it quite interesting. From PodcastAlly, it told me I had to download all kinds of stuff to hear it. Maybe i misunderstood, but I didn't see a link that seemed to be "play me here!"

I was definitly a bigger fan of Podcast.com.

Overall, i can see a use for podcasts for entertainment purposes, for getting news, I love that you can see a lot of whta has been on NPR and other radio stations. But it's justnot for me.

3 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of just sitting around and "listening" either - but I think there are many educational possibilities with podcasts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey terri,
    you can also take podcasts to go!too bad you don't know an ipod. itunes has a wide variety you can choose from and you can download them to your ipod and then your good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would definity perfer it on the go...however I also tend to "zone out" when listening as I travel, or at the gym. Unless something really cathces me attention, it often ends up as background noise.

    Amy, I can definitly see how it could be helpful to post lectures that were missed, speeches, and other educational/informational pieces. I would just consciously need to listen to it to get something out of it. For learning, that's great. For on-the-go information, at least for me, it's not the best.

    ReplyDelete